Levelling up in the heat of the moment
‘I heard someone from the Met Office on the radio predicting that a new temperature record for the UK might be set in the north of England, rather than in the more normal south-east. Would this be a success for the government’s levelling up policies?
Wick, Vale of Glamorgan
• “Some say the world will end in fire / Some say in ice / From what I’ve tasted of desire / I hold with those who favour fire.” Apologies to Robert Frost, but for me right now, “ice … would suffice”.
West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire
• Why is a member of the Queen’s Guard required to stand in full sun in all those clothes (Monday’s best photos, 18 June), apparently unable to move even to get a drink of water? Is this not criminal negligence?
Great Barford, Bedfordshire
• Current record temperatures, while extremely alarming, conjure up memories of the wonderful Caroline Aherne on The Fast Show. Might our weather presenters also soon be delivering a never-changing forecast of “Scorchio!”
• Given the dire warnings, I’m disappointed. I had expected the temperature chart on your weather pages to add a funereal black at 40C.
• Is the British heatwave being fuelled by hot air from the Tory leadership contest?
• Is somebody checking if Prince Andrew has been sweating?
• Have an opinion on anything you’ve read in the Guardian today? Please email us your letter and it will be considered for publication.