Likely cause of Kilmarnock dump fire as council issues warning to residents

The cause of the inferno that erupted at Kilmarnock's dump yesterday has yet to be determined, council bosses said today.

A blaze broke out at the recycling centre last night with the official cause not yet established.

However, council bosses believe that the fire could've been started by a discarded battery in a piece of plastic or a toy.

Scottish Fire & Rescue were called to the Council’s Western Road Depot yesterday evening to extinguish a fire which was brought under control swiftly.

A spokesperson from East Ayrshire Council said: "The fire was contained within one of our contractors’ metal containers which was situated within the depot yard. Its cause is undetermined, but is likely to have been a discarded battery within a piece of plastic or a toy.

"Whilst incidents such as these are rare, they highlight the importance of disposing of batteries safely. We would advise householders that all household batteries should be secured in a bag and either placed on top of their recycling trolley for collection, or loosely tied to the recycling trolley handle.

"Alternative recycling points for batteries can be found using the following locator."

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "We were alerted at 6.05pm on Monday, May 20 to reports of refuse on fire in Kilmarnock.
"Operations control mobilised one appliance to the town's Western Road, where firefighters extinguished the fire and worked to make the area safe before leaving the scene."

Read next:

Don't miss the latest Ayrshire headlines – sign up to our free daily newsletter