“Feels like a miracle that I am standing here shooting the first shot of my new film. It’s called Old,” Shyamalan tweeted today. (See the tweet below.)
Accompanying the tweet was artwork – a depiction of an hourglass, with people tumbling instead of sand, and text reading, “A New Trip from writer/director M. Night Shyamalan. It’s only a matter of time” – and a photo of the masked director holding a clapperboard.
Deadline recently reported Rufus Sewell, Embeth Davidtz and Emun Elliott joined the ensemble cast for Shyamalan’s secret movie. Gael Garcia Bernal, Eliza Scanlen, Thomasin McKenzie, Aaron Pierre, Alex Wolff, Vicky Krieps, Abbey Lee, Nikki Amuka-Bird and Ken Leung were already on board to star in the top-secret project.
Shyamalan will write, produce and direct Old. Plot details are shrouded in secrecy and can become interconnected to his other films. Shyamalan will also produce along with Ashwin Rajan for Blinding Edge Pictures. Marc Bienstock also serves as producer and Steven Schneider will exec produce.
According to Collider, the new movie is inspired by the French graphic novel Sandcastle by Pierre Oscar Levy and artist Frederik Peeters, with the plot set in motion when a dead body is discovered on a beach, signaling some unnatural goings-on.
The film’s current theatrical date is July 23.
— M. Night Shyamalan (@MNightShyamalan) September 26, 2020
More from Deadline
- Rufus Sewell, Embeth Davidtz & Emun Elliott Round Out Cast of M. Night Shyamalan's Next Film
- Gael García Bernal Joins M. Night Shyamalan's Next Film
- Universal Bob Odenkirk Action Thriller 'Nobody' Going A Week Earlier
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: America Now Has Over 7 Million COVID-19 Cases As New Daily Infections Rise In 23 States
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto