Man who lost six family members in Grenfell Tower fire says building should remain as a reminder

·2-min read
The Grenfell Tower after the fatal fire (Jonathan Brady/PA) (PA Wire)
The Grenfell Tower after the fatal fire (Jonathan Brady/PA) (PA Wire)

A man whose family died in the Grenfell Tower disaster has said the Government should keep the building standing as a reminder of the tragedy.

Nabil Choucair, lost mother Sirria, 60, sister Nadia, 30, her husband Bassem Choukair, 40, and nieces Mierna, 13, Fatima, 11, and Zainab, three, in the fire four years ago.

He told The Mirror: “This tower represents where our families died. With it coming down, it’s them [the Government] trying to get away with it, as if nothing has happened.

“When you see Grenfell Tower you see everybody, it’s our family that you see. It is a reminder to everybody that there’s still justice that has not taken its toll which needs to be done.”

Sources told the Sunday Times earlier this month structural engineers had “unambiguously and unanimously” advised the government the tower should be “carefully taken down.”

It it thought there are concerns it is a safety risk to the nearby Kensington Aldridge Academy, a secondary school where 1,200 pupils study.

The government says no decision has been made yet - but many of those who lost loved ones say the tower should remain in place until “justice is done”.

Lancaster West Residents Association member Abbas Dadou said removing the block would “disrespect residents and bereaved people.”

The Housing ministry has said there will be there will be no change to the tower before the fifth anniversary on 14 June 2022.

Earlier today, an inquiry found that people who live in high-rise social housing blocks are still at “significant risk” of future fires.

Danny Friedman QC, who represents a group of bereaved people, survivors and residents of the west London tower block, told the Grenfell Tower inquiry hearing that Britain currently has an “unstable fire regulatory system” and a fire service that is “incompetent to meet contemporary challenges”.

His comments came as the panel, led by chairman Sir Martin Moore-Bick, heard opening statements in Phase 2, module 5, of the inquiry, which looks at the topic of firefighting.

The panel also heard opening submissions from lawyers representing London mayor Sadiq Khan, the Fire Brigades Union, the Fire Officers Association and the London Fire Commissioner, who spoke on behalf of the London Fire Brigade.

The inquiry is being held to examine the circumstances leading up to and surrounding the fire.

Read More

London firefighters tackle blaze at £2million Grade II listed pub

New office deliveries approach at London skyscraper 22 Bishopsgate

Insulate Britain protesters charge past police onto M25 carriageway

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting