When Manchester Airport expects flights to restart after huge power cut

Thousands of people have faced delays and cancellations at Manchester Airport today
-Credit: (Image: Kenny Brown | Manchester Evening News)

Manchester Airport says it is hoping to restart flights after they were cancelled following a huge power cut.

All flights out of Terminals 1 and 2 were axed 'until further notice' after the outage, which hit in the early hours of this morning (Sunday). Passengers were told to stay away from both terminals.

Power was later restored but baggage and security systems continued to be affected. More than 100 flights were due to depart from the airport today, leaving thousands of people facing delays and cancellations.

READ MORE: Man killed in horror motorbike crash on major road

In an update this afternoon, Manchester Airport said it expected flights to restart "during the remainder of this afternoon and evening". However, passengers are advised to check with their airline before travelling to the airport.

An airport spokesman said: "Following the power outage earlier today that caused disruption to Terminals 1 and 2, we are now in the process of resuming operations and expect flights to restart during the remainder of this afternoon and evening. It remains important that passengers check with their airlines before travelling to the airport.

"We are also working closely with airlines to reschedule cancelled flights in the coming days. Flights scheduled for tomorrow should be unaffected and passengers due to travel should plan to come to the airport as usual. We thank passengers for their patience and our resilience team and customer service colleagues for their hard work."

Huge queues at Terminal 1 this afternoon
Huge queues at Terminal 1 this afternoon -Credit:Manchester Evening News

Following the power cut, the airport announced earlier today that all flights from Terminals 1 and 2 were being cancelled "until further notice".

Passengers flying via Terminal 3 were told to go to the airport as normal "unless advised otherwise by their airline".

Travellers took to social media to post images of major queues and shared their frustration with the airport. Some reported instances where some baggage was not on flights.

An image shared with the Manchester Evening News showed a sea of suitcases left inside one of the terminals.

Airline easyJet, which operates flights from terminal one, said there were “very long queues” for security and disruption to hold baggage processing, meaning passengers could board flights only with cabin luggage.

Meanwhile, a number of arriving flights were diverted to other airports.

In a video shared by Manchester Airport on X - formerly Twitter - earlier today, its managing director, Chris Woodroofe, issued his "sincere apologies" to those impacted.

"It's a very difficult situation, I couldn't be more sorry," he said, adding that he expects the airport to return to "normal operations" by tomorrow.