The French National Assembly in Paris held a minute’s silence on Thursday, October 29, after at least three people were killed in a stabbing attack at the Basilica of Notre-Dame in Nice, France, earlier that morning.
The suspect was detained at the scene, police said, and was injured during the police intervention. France’s national anti-terror prosecutors said they have opened a murder inquiry following the incident, according to AFP.
The incident took place just before 9 am. David Olivier Reverdy, a representative with the Alliance police union, told reporters that two women and a man were attacked, and that it was unclear if the suspect had acted alone.
A controlled explosion was also carried out at the scene, police said. Credit: Assemblée Nationale/Cédric Roussel via Storyful