Nine Survivors Rescued From Site of Deadly Building Collapse in Lagos

Nine survivors had been rescued from a deadly building collapse in the Nigerian capital of Lagos on Tuesday, November 2, as rescue operations continued a day after the incident, state officials said.

The bodies of 10 people who died in the incident were also recovered, officials said.

Footage released by the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency shows personnel tending to two adult males who were rescued with slight injuries and taken to the hospital for further treatment, the agency wrote in a caption.

Three of the nine survivors have been discharged from the hospital while the remaining six are in stable condition, according to the Lagos state government.

The number of trapped victims would be difficult to confirm as the building was still under construction and not yet occupied at the time, State Deputy Gov Dr Kadri Obafemi Hamzat said in a press release. The site had been sealed up for four months due to “anomalies” in the construction process, according to Hamzat.

“The focus of the operation right now is to rescue those that are trapped,” Hamzat said. Credit: Lagos State Emergency Management Agency via Storyful

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting