By Ian Dunt
A man thought to be Labour MP Eric Joyce has been arrested after an altercation in a Commons bar last night.
Police were called to the scene after reports of a fight in the Strangers Bar, which is reserved for MPs and their guests.
"We were called at approximately 10:50 GMT last night to reports of a disturbance at a bar within the House of Commons," a Scotland Yard spokesman said.
"A man aged in his 50s was arrested by officers on suspicion of assault. He remains in custody in a central London police station. Inquiries are continuing."
Tory MP Stuart Andrew has reportedly alleged he was headbutted and punched by the Labour MP for Falkirk.
Mr Joyce served in the Army Education Corps before entering politics. He was parliamentary private secretary to defence secretary Bob Ainsworth until 2009, when he quit over concerns around the Afghan war.
He also resigned as Northern Ireland minister after pleading guilty to failing to provide a breath test a year later.
The event follows a 2010 fight in the Sports and Social Club, also in parliament, in which Labour MP Paul Farrelly was said to have wrestled a man to the floor during a karaoke evening.
- Barclays Sacks Chief Executive Antony JenkinsSky News - 5 minutes ago
- Brit Backpacker Murders: Thailand Trial BeginsSky News - 9 minutes ago
- Europe Sets 'Final' Deadline For Greece DealSky News - 47 minutes ago
- Nearly Half The Public Supports Welfare CutsSky News - 1 hour 10 minutes ago
- Budget To Slow Pace Of Welfare Cuts: Sky SourcesSky News - 1 hour 28 minutes ago
By Ian Dunt