Pensioner, 98, fights for life after being brutally attacked and robbed of his TV in 'burglary blackspot'

Andy Wells
Freelance Writer
Peter Gouldstone was left fighting for his life after attacked by burglars (SWNS)

Police are searching for burglars who brutally attacked and robbed a 98-year-old man, leaving him fighting for his life.

Police say Peter Gouldstone was found with multiple ‘serious injuries’ following the ‘brutal’ and ‘senseless’ attack at his home in Enfield, north London, on Tuesday morning.

The frail pensioner sustained ‘multiple bruising’ to his body as well as a head injury, and was rushed to an east London Hospital where he remains in a life-threatening condition.

Police say the thugs – who stole a TV and other items – used ‘excessive’ violence.

Detective Inspector Paul Ridley, of the Met’s North Area CID, said: ‘This was a brutal and senseless attack on a vulnerable pensioner in his own home.

The 98-year-old was savagely beaten by intruders at his home in Enfield, north London (SWNS)

‘The level of violence used was completely excessive.

‘From our inquiries we have established that the victim was spoken to by a family member on the telephone on Monday November 5th at 2pm and had not raised any concerns.

‘We are therefore confident, the attack has taken place in the 20-hour window between then, possible Bonfire Night, to when he was discovered.’

Mr Gouldstone’s neighbours said the area was a ‘burglary blackspot’.

READ MORE FROM YAHOO NEWS UK

Refrigerated lorry containing 15 children discovered entering UK at Sussex port
The Great War in colour: Reworked WW1 images show grim reality of conflict
‘Deplorable’ Grenfell fraud claimed more than £100,000 by pretending he lived with victims
Drinking just one energy drink ‘can narrow your blood vessels’, experts warn
54% of Brits now back Remain, according to biggest Brexit poll since EU referendum

One resident living in the same street as the victim said they had been burgled six times in the last 10 years.

One neighbour said his house had been burgled six times in the last 10 years.

Khalid Mahmood, 42, added: ‘The police didn’t catch anyone – they even took out clothes away for forensics.

‘It’s bad, I do feel unsafe – I’m here with three kids and my wife.

Mr Gouldstone’s neighbour said they had been burgled six times in the last 10 years (SWNS)

‘My next door neighbour was 92-years-old – she was burgled twice leading up to her death four years ago.

‘The poor woman would not stop shaking, she lived on her home and she was in fear of another break in.

‘These things are something you’ve come to expect.’

Former print maker Len Steiner, 85, who has lived on the street for 70 years, added: ‘I haven’t seen Peter for the past four years – he never left the house.

‘I’ve had break-ins before; it’s a fairly common thing around here.’

No arrests have so far been made.

Anyone with information is urged to call 101 quoting CAD 2140/6Nov, or tweeting @MetCC under Operation Name ‘Burrow’.