Police officer knocked out while shutting down illegal lockdown party

Rebecca Speare-Cole
·3-min read
A police officer was knocked out while trying to shut down a party of 30 people (Metropolitan Police).
A police officer was knocked out while trying to shut down a party of 30 people in south London. (Metropolitan Police).

One police officer was knocked unconscious and seven others were injured while shutting down an illegal lockdown party at a property in south London.

The incident took place after officers responded to reports of a robbery on Portland Street in Walworth in the early hours of 28 February.

A victim had been assaulted by two males and his phone had been taken, the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

Officers were told that the suspects had been seen running to an address on Hopwood Road.

Read: Paedophile IT technician jailed after installing software onto work computers to spy on colleagues

They attended the property at about 5.30am and found a group of 30 people partying in breach of coronavirus rules.

The officers tried to identify the robbery suspects and close the party down.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

However, the partygoers quickly became hostile, throwing drinks and other missiles at them, the Met Police said.

One officer was knocked unconscious while another sustained a suspected fracture to their hand.

Ultimately, eight officers were injured during the confrontation and the decision was made to withdraw from the party for their safety.

Other units descended on the scene, enabling officers to manage the party attendees one by one.

The Met Police said 30 people were reported for £800 fines.

Four people were also arrested, including a 17-year-old boy who was identified by the robbery victim as the person who took his phone.

A 19-year-old man was found in possession of the victim’s phone and was arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods.

And a 19-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and assaulting a police officer.

Watch: COVID-19: Fines issued after illegal nightclub - complete with VIP area and DJ is found in Birmingham

Police also searched a 17-year-old girl and found her to be carrying a number of different debit cards and an oyster card belonging to several different people. She was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and handling stolen goods.

All four were taken into custody at a south London police station and were later bailed to return on a date in late March.

Chief Inspector Richard Blears, from the Central South Command Unit, which covers Southwark, said: “Restrictions are still in place to protect lives. Every person who attended this illegal gathering has acted selfishly and irresponsibly and has potentially put others at risk.

“Not only that, but some have even gone as far as physically harming the officers who attended the scene, which is totally unacceptable.

"We will continue to enforce breaches of COVID-19 restrictions when they are alerted to us.”

Watch: Police uncover makeshift bar at a garage in Birmingham