Rangers title party yob who clashed with police is jailed

Rangers fans took over George Square after winning the title in 2021. Stock image
Rangers fans took over George Square after winning the title in 2021. Stock image -Credit:SNS Group

A Kilmarnock thug who clashed with police at the Rangers title party was jailed for 14 months.

Steven Anderson, 37, lashed out at officers in Glasgow's George Square on May 15, 2021.

Thousands of Gers fans had gathered in the city centre that day to celebrate the club winning the Scottish Premiership.

Topless Anderson climbed on a statue, kicked riot shields, threw a can at a police cordon and spat at an officer.

His violent conduct took place over a space of three hours and was captured on CCTV.

Anderson had been placed on a community payback days before the incident which included a 8pm to 5am curfew.

Anderson pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to breach of the peace.

He also admitted assaulting PC David Graham by spitting at him.

The court heard that conventional constables were withdrawn from George Square due to the escalating disturbance and replaced by public order officers.

A police cordon with riot shields were put in place at George Square around 8pm.

The incidents Anderson was involved in were recorded by body cameras and CCTV which were later reviewed.

Prosecutor Ryan Watson said: "He was captured on a statue, shouting, swearing and gesticulating in a threatening manner.

"He was seen to pull, kick and shields of nearby police and spat at PC Graham."

Later that evening around 11pm the police cordon made efforts to clear fans from the area.

Mr Watson said: "Anderson shouted at police, kicked a shield and threw a can."

CCTV of the incidents were played to the court which showed Anderson make an outstretched hand gesture.

Other rioters were heard to shout "F*** the SNP" at the officers.

Anderson was identified after footage was circulated on police and media networks.

Mr Watson said: "He was identified from his distinctive torso and neck tattoos."

Jamie McNair, defending, told the court that his client is in full time employment and was on bail at the time of the offence for drink driving.

The lawyer added: "When he saw the footage, he expressed his disgust and wished to plead guilty.

"He is under no illusions of the gravity of this matter."

Sheriff Paul Reid said: "Your behaviour was disgraceful and occurred in the middle of the height of the pandemic.

"Frankly this was terrifying behaviour towards police who are trying to protect the community."

Read next:

Don't miss the latest Ayrshire headlines – sign up to our free daily newsletter