Remembrance service held for Jack Merritt and former Cambridge University student who died in London Bridge attack

Tim Baker
Floral tributes and photographs of the first victim to be named, Jack Merritt: AFP via Getty Images

A church service held just a few hundred metres from the London Bridge attack attracted hundreds of people who paid remembrance to the two victims of the knife rampage.

The Dean of Southwark Cathedral, the Very Reverend Andrew Nunn, spoke of the “déjà vu” he had of the 2017 attack, during which eight people were killed at 48 injured.

Southwark Cathedral, which is on the opposite side of the Thames to where the attack started at Fishmongers’ Hall, was put on lockdown on Friday following convicted terrorist Usman Khan’s rampage.

Mr Nunn told the BBC he “wondered what an earth was going on" when the attack began.

File image of Dean of Southwark Andrew Nunn speaking during a service to mark one year since the London Bridge terror attack in 20170 (PA)

He added: "That sense of déjà vu, and then realising that déjà vu passes very quickly and this, in fact, was reality again.

“I think what it revealed to me is that the second time around can really, really hurt - so I think that's what people are finding at the moment."

A man and woman were killed in the terror attack (AFP)

The service was held today in honour of Jack Merritt, 25, and a woman, now identified as a former Cambridge University student, who both died in the attack.

Another three people were injured by Khan before he was shot dead by police.

Eight victims were killed in the 2017 attack, pictured (Daniel Sorabji/AFP/Getty Images)

Mr Nunn said at the service: “Memories have been stirred and wounds have been re-opened.

"What seemed to have been put to the back of people's minds has now been brought to the fore.

"There will be people around here who will feel fearful, people who would perhaps be anywhere other than here. Others who just want life to be normal.

"We have to stand with them. We have to help bear their pain but also speak to that pain with words of hope."

He went on to praise the members of the public who confronted Khan, including a man who grabbed a narwhal tusk from Fishmongers’ Hall and used it to subdue the terrorist.

The reverend said: “The actions of evil people can have a terrible impact on our lives, but these people are few in number compared to the good people we see all around us.

"Every event of this nature produces stories of such selfless acts of bravery."

One of the people injured in the attack has now been allowed to return home and two more remain in stable condition, the NHS has said.

Khan, who was living in Stafford, was given permission to travel into the heart of London by police and the probation service. He had also been allowed to travel to Whitehall earlier in the year.

Armed with two knives and wearing a fake suicide vest, Khan was tackled by members of the public, including ex-offenders from the conference, before he was shot and killed.

Footage posted online shows Khan being taken to the ground as one man sprays him with a fire extinguisher and another, reportedly a Polish man who worked at the Hall, lunges towards him with a narwhal tusk believed to have been taken from the wall inside the building.

Khan was part of an al Qaida-inspired terror group - linked to radical preacher Anjem Choudary - that plotted to bomb the London Stock Exchange and build a terrorist training camp on land in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir owned by his family.