Seann Walsh quits Twitter claiming trolls made last few years 'absolute hell'

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Seann Walsh performs during the Teenage Cancer Trust comedy night, at the Royal Albert Hall, London. (Photo by Matt Crossick/PA Images via Getty Images)
Seann Walsh performs during the Teenage Cancer Trust comedy night, at the Royal Albert Hall, London. (Photo by Matt Crossick/PA Images via Getty Images)

Seann Walsh has declared he is taking a step back from Twitter, describing the last few years of his life as "absolute hell" in part due to online abuse.

The comedian, who was involved in the Strictly Come Dancing kissing scandal with Katya Jones, shared a lengthy post to Twitter from his Notes app.

Attaching the screenshot, he wrote: "It’s happened. I’ve become the guy posting from his notes. It started as a tweet but I was rambling. I can only apologise."

Read more: Craig Revel Horwood gives details on post-lockdown Strictly series

Walsh, 34, went on to say he had recently come back to the app to direct message someone before checking his mentions only to see abusive messages.

He shared: "This app has contributed to making the last couple of years of my life, absolute hell. When I was in my mid twenties, before there was even a term 'troll', I had a TV show. It wasn't good but I was young and inexperienced.

"Nonetheless, that should have been an exciting time in my life. But instead I remember it for someone tweeting me 'What is @seannwalsh and how do we make it die?' I must hear that echo in my mind every few weeks."

Walsh added that he "hated" the "poisonous" site but went on to thank those who had reached out over the years to speak positively on his work.

Seann Walsh attends the ITV Palooza 2019 at the Royal Festival Hall on November 12, 2019 in London, England. (Photo by Jeff Spicer/Getty Images)
Seann Walsh attends the ITV Palooza 2019 at the Royal Festival Hall on November 12, 2019 in London, England. (Photo by Jeff Spicer/Getty Images)

Moving on to those who had sent abusive messages, he said: "Now. To everyone who has abused me on here, even the ones that didn't @ me, from the bottom of my heart and all the energy I can will, f*** you. Really f*** you.

Read more: Katie Price says online abuse is ‘getting worse’

"I won't miss this place. What even is it? In all my life, I don't think I've actually heard anyone talk about the things people talk about on here in real life. Chill out and have a biscuit."

While competing on the 2018 series of the dancing competition, Walsh was pictured kissing his dance partner Katya Jones who was then married to fellow professional dancer Neil Jones.

Seann Walsh and Katya Jones seen leaving a dance studio on October 17, 2018 in Mayfair, London. (PALACE LEE / Barcroft Media via Getty Images)
Seann Walsh and Katya Jones seen leaving a dance studio on October 17, 2018 in Mayfair, London. (PALACE LEE / Barcroft Media via Getty Images)

Both parties subsequently issued apologies, describing it as a "one-off mistake". The Jones' announced they would be staying together although went on to split last year, but remain friends.

Walsh's girlfriend at the time, Rebecca Humphries, ended things with him and in a statement claimed he had gaslighted her when she had questioned his “inappropriate” behaviour.

He later described some of his actions as “a form of abuse”.

He has previously spoken out about feeling "demonised" over the Strictly debacle. Following Caroline Flack's death by suicide in February this year, he suggested he had been "very nearly pushed there" himself.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting