Serving Met police officer was raped by David Carrick
One of David Carrick’s rape victims was a Metropolitan Police officer who is still serving with the force, it has been revealed.
The woman, who was attacked by the serial rapist almost 20 years ago, said she had not come forward at the time because she did not think she would be believed.
She said she had been horrified to subsequently learn that he had gone on to rape a string of other women and said she feels she has let the other victims down by not reporting him sooner.
She told The Times: “I didn’t realise what Carrick’s other victims went through until I read about it. He is a monster. I feel guilty. I feel like I let the other victims down by not reporting it. I’m a police officer [and] I’m meant to protect them.”
But she blamed the “very male-dominated culture” in the Met at the time for her reluctance in coming forward.
She added: “I’m angry at the Met because I should have been able to report my rape without fear of being judged. The culture of the Met stopped me. I blame them for ever meeting Carrick.”
Earlier this month Carrick, 48, pleaded guilty to more than 80 sex offences committed against 12 women between 2003 and 2020.
He is due to be sentenced at a two day hearing set to begin on February 6, when victim impact statements are expected to be read out at court.
It had not previously been known that Carrick had raped one of his Met colleagues and will heap further pressure on the force, which has apologised for missing a string of opportunities to spot his offending.
The woman, who has lifelong anonymity as the victim of a sex offence, revealed that Carrick attacked her at home when they were briefly working together in 2004.
She came forward to report the attack in October 2021 after Carrick was arrested in connection with another rape and his name was put into the public domain by the media.
The serving officer described Carrick as a “womaniser” who would flirt with lots of different females but said he was also extremely controlling.
She said that they had continued working together for two weeks after the attack, which had been very difficult for her.
Despite her ordeal, she managed to get on with her career and never came face to face with Carrick again.
She said that while she has faith in Sir Mark Rowley, who has vowed to root out corrupt officers from the Met, she is sceptical that he will be successful given the scale of the problem.
She said she is relieved that Carrick has finally been brought to justice and hopes the prison sentence he receives provides his victims with some closure.
“I’m sure there are others who are yet to come forward but I hope they find the strength to do so. It’s never too late.”
More ‘ghastly’ cases expected
A review is taking place into the nine opportunities to stop Carrick, missed by the Met, during his 17-year reign of terror.
He was reported to various police forces following a string of complaints including numerous domestic abuse allegations, violence and harassment.
Earlier this week, Sir Mark warned that there would be more “ghastly” cases uncovered as the Met “lifted the stone” to root out criminals within its ranks.