Shocking CCTV of two ‘cowards’ carrying out fatal attack on man in Trafalgar Square

Police have issued a £20,000 reward to help catch two “cowards” who attacked a man in Trafalgar Square who later died from his injuries.

Desmond O’Beirne was punched from behind by one attacker before the other one kicked him when he was on the ground at the London landmark last June.

The 51-year-old ended up in a vegetative state after the unprovoked attack and died six months later in December.

He was attacked outside the National Portrait Gallery as he walked across the historic square on June 3 last year.

Mr O’Beirne didn’t regain consciousness after the attack and passed away in hospital on December 20.

His sister Vivienne Folan said: “My brother Desmond was hard working and larger than life.

“He was on a night out in Trafalgar Square when he was brutally and viciously attacked by two cowards who then calmly walked away and left him for dead.

“As a direct result of this attack he suffered a traumatic brain injury and was left in a vegetative state.

MOST POPULAR TODAY ON YAHOO

“Desmond’s life was ended far too soon and our family is left devastated by his loss.

“I am appealing to members of the public who may have been in the Trafalgar Square area on the night and witnessed this assault to come forward to the police.

“I am trying to get justice for Desmond, his two attackers were very distinctive and part of a larger group.

“I hope that witnesses and those from that group who did not know how serious the attack was will now come forward.”

The attack was caught on CCTV (Picture: SWNS)

The murder investigation by detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command is being led by Detective Chief Inspector Noel McHugh.

A serious crime reward of £20,000 is available to anyone providing vital information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the people responsible for the murder.

DCI McHugh said: “Someone might see this video and remember that they witnessed this incident; you will see a female who is clearly shocked by what has happened and holds her hands up to her face.

“You may have been part of the group and did not realise how seriously Desmond was hurt and that he has now died.

“You can contact us and help us get justice. Desmond was an inoffensive man, a big man and character, who was out having a drink.

“The CCTV shows that he was senselessly attacked and he never stood a chance.

“The events of Desmond’s attack precede the London Bridge Terrorists attacks which were in the following evening.

“So while there is a passage of time, people will remember where they were in London, and could remember this incident.”

Police say the first suspect had a top-knot hair style, full beard, red t-shirt, dark trousers and light colour shoes.

The second attacker was wearing a black jacket with a white emblem on right shoulder and white writing with a picture on the rear.