Suspect named after man charged with rape

A man was charged with rape after a woman was reportedly attacked and robbed in St Helens.

On Saturday, June 29, Merseyside police received a report that a woman had been assaulted and raped at an address, and her mobile phone was stolen. Officers attended and arrested a man at the scene.

Nadal Mehemed, 36 years, of South John Street in St Helens, has now been charged with rape of a woman aged 16 years and over, intentional strangulation, robbery and false imprisonment.

READ MORE: Search for missing boy on Crosby beach stood down after 15 hours

READ MORE: Ex-cop says 'things just don't add up' in Jay Slater's disappearance

He appeared at Liverpool Magistrates Court today, July 1, and was remanded in custody.

Detective Inspector Leanne Toole said: “Providing support to victims of sexual assault has never been more important, and I would encourage anyone experiencing this to report it to us and we will support you every way we can.

“We take all such reports extremely seriously, and if you can find the courage to come forward and speak to us we have specially trained officers who will treat you with sensitivity and compassion, and make sure that reports are thoroughly investigated."

To report a sexual offence, call 101 where you will be spoken to by specially trained officers or you can pass information to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Support for victims is also available through the registered charity the Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre Cheshire and Merseyside, who can be contacted on 01925 221 546 or 0330 363 0063 or Rape and Sexual Assault Merseyside (RASA) on 0151 558 1801. In an emergency, always call 999.

The Home Office has also set up a pilot service, StreetSafe |, for anyone to anonymously report public places where they have felt or feel unsafe, because of environmental issues, eg street lighting, abandoned buildings or vandalism and/or because of some behaviours, eg being followed or verbally abused.

Please note: StreetSafe is not for reporting crime or incidents.

If something has happened to you or someone you know (including in public spaces online) you can call us on 101 or find out what online reporting services are available at StreetSafe |

Don't miss the biggest and breaking stories by signing up to the Echo Daily newsletter here