Swansea: Man who died in explosion named by South Wales Police

The man who died following an explosion in Swansea has been named.

Brian Davies, 68, died after the incident at a property on Clydach Road, Morriston.

South Wales Police said emergency services were called at about 11.20am on Monday morning.

Mr Davies was formally identified on Tuesday afternoon and his family is being supported by specially trained officers.

An extensive emergency services operation lasted throughout Monday with a police cordon remaining in place on Clydach Road as investigations continue.

As of Tuesday afternoon, up to 30 households were still unable to return to their homes - down from over 200 on Monday.

The local authority supported residents who were unable to return home on Monday night and the nearby memorial hall continues to be used as a rest and information centre for local residents.

Police have said building checks on properties on the street are taking place "as quickly as possible" so that more of the street's residents can return to their homes when it is safe to do so.

Detective Inspector Carl Price said: "Our thoughts remain with Brian's family and friends, at what is a very difficult time for them, and those who have been injured following the explosion.

"Our enquiries are ongoing to establish the cause of the incident, and these enquiries are being carried out in partnership with relevant agencies including the Health and Safety Executive.

"The patience and understanding of local residents on Clydach Road, and the wider community in Morriston, is very much appreciated while this work remains ongoing."

'Had a bomb hit the house?'

Police have confirmed that of the three people taken to hospital, one child and one adult have been discharged.

One adult remains in hospital with trauma injuries and is in a stable condition.

The father of a boy injured in the explosion told Sky News that his son could not believe "that everything had gone" after the family home was destroyed.

Anthony Bennett's son, Ethan, his former wife Claire, and one other person, believed to be a postman, were taken to hospital following the incident.

"Ethan asked 'Had a bomb hit the house?'", Mr Bennett told Sky News.

"He actually asked me the question 'Did a bomb hit the house?' because he can't believe that everything's gone. That's his main thing is everything has gone."

'Tremendous support'

Mr Bennett added that the community had rallied around the family and everyone affected by the incident.

"The support that's come in from obviously family and friends, but from the school, from the community, the whole road here. It's the next day and everybody's still out here," Mr Bennett said.

"The support has been tremendous from the school, the community, the rugby clubs. Everything seems to be pulling together and couldn't ask for more, couldn't ask for better."

Read more:
Aaron Ramsey named new Wales captain after Bale retirement
Welsh government approve country's first floating wind farm

Cardiff crash victims not discovered for nearly 48 hours, police confirm

An investigation is underway to establish the cause of the incident and the Health and Safety Executive has been informed.