Teen found guilty of murdering student outside Clapham South Tube station with hunting knife

Rebecca Speare-Cole
1 / 4
Teen found guilty of murdering student outside Clapham South Tube station with hunting knife

A 17-year-old has been found guilty of murdering a student with a hunting knife outside a London Underground station.

Malcolm Mide-Madariola, 17, was stabbed in the heart near Clapham South Tube station on 2 November.

The fatal attack followed a confrontation with two males who were intent on fighting the group Mr Mide-Madariola was standing with after college.

A teen, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found guilty of murder and possession of an offensive weapon at the Old Bailey on Friday and will be sentenced on 5 July.

United in grief: a vigil is held for Malcolm Mide-Madariola, 17, the victim of the recent stabbing at Clapham South Tube station (Rex Features)

However, the second male, Treynae Campbell, 19, from Sydenham, was acquitted of murder and manslaughter but had previously pleaded guilty to possession of an offensive weapon.

Malcolm was found suffering from a stab wound by police officers and paramedics, who were called to the scene just after 4.30pm.

They gave the boy emergency first aid before he was taken to a south London hospital, where he died a short time later.

The court heard how Malcolm, from Peckham, was stabbed three times, including once in the heart.

CCTV footage did not show the stabbing itself but did capture the youth carrying a knife, jurors heard.

Friends and family gather at the scene where Malcolm Mide-Madariola was killed, and pay their respects (Getty Images)

The court heard that the killing came two days after an incident at the south London sixth form college where Malcolm was a student.

Prosecutor Zoe Johnson QC said when violence was threatened, "Malcolm bravely sought to stand up to (the youth), for which he paid with his life".

On 31 October, there had allegedly been "unfriendly eye contact" and "an exchange of words" between Malcolm's friend and the 17-year-old defendant after they passed in the corridor.

"Whatever happened that day appears to be the reason for the confrontation and murder of Malcolm two days later."

The weapon used was a hunting knife which police would later trace to the 17-year-old convicted today.

DCI John Massey said: Malcolm was a student at a college in Clapham and had his whole future ahead of him.

“The culprit in this case had clearly come to cause trouble and did not hesitate to inflict fatal injuries following a minor dispute.

“The dangers of carrying a knife are clear to see. The fact that a specialist hunting knife was used and purchased in advance makes the attack all the more sickening.

“Nothing will bring Malcolm back but I hope today’s verdict goes some small way to helping the family move on from what has been a deeply traumatic phase in their lives."