Three men convicted over fatal shooting of Patrick Anzy, 31, on Dalston street

Patrick Anzy was shot dead in Dalston last year  (Metropolitan Police)
Patrick Anzy was shot dead in Dalston last year (Metropolitan Police)

Three men have been convicted over the fatal shooting of Patrick Anzy on a Dalston street.

Mr Anzy, 31, was shot three times with a MAC11 machine gun just before 1am at Gillett Square on May 8 last year.

Police found him with gunshot wounds to his chest and neck. Despite the efforts of medics, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

A post-mortem examination later confirmed he had died of gunshot injuries.

Jermaine Jackson, Oshane Hartley and Mohamed Abrar were on Friday convicted over his killing at Southwark Crown Court.

Jackson, 26, was convicted of murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Hartley, 26, was convicted of possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Abrar, 25, was convicted of assisting an offender.

CCTV footage showed Mr Anzy and a friend speaking with Jackson in the street.

When Jackson produced the machine gun, Mr Anzy and his friend ran in an attempt to flee, but Jackson shot the 31-year-old in the back, causing catastrophic injuries.

Around 15 minutes after the murder, a taxi was booked by Abrar to collect Jackson on Boleyn Road.

He was then taken by mini-cab to an address in Harlow where Abrar was waiting.

From there, he took further cabs to Hackney, and within 12 hours of the murder had left London and travelled by train to Birmingham in a bid to evade police.

He had also changed and disposed of clothing, mistakenly believing it would help him evade detectives.

Jackson was arrested in Birmingham on suspicion of murder on May 15 last year, and charged with the offence two days later.

After reviewing CCTV footage and phones, officers established that Hartley had been involved in disposal of the firearm.

He was charged with possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life on October 21, 2021.

Abrar was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender on June 6 and charged later that month.

DI Andrew McDonald said: “It was clear that the defendants had spent considerable time planning the murder and had taken steps to throw police off the scent.

“Thankfully, life is not like TV cop shows and examination of their mobile phone movements and data, supported by CCTV, gave us a detailed picture of their activities on the night of Patrick’s death.

“Despite this verdict, Patrick will not be returning to his family and they will continue to deal with their loss for years to come. Our thoughts are with them today.”

DI McDonald said the firearm was a “high calibre machine gun” that was “not commonly seen on the streets of London”.

“It was offered for sale via social media to a wider criminal network less than an hour after the murder,” he added. “It still hasn’t been recovered and I urge anyone with information on the location of this firearm to contact police without delay.”