Recycled toilet water tastes just as good as bottled water, and volunteers actually prefer the taste of recycled sewage, a study has found.
Researchers at the University of California, Riverside, say that drinking recycled sewage is safe and environmentally friendly – and called for marketers to make the idea ‘less scary’.
Recycled water is treated to remove all harmful elements, and in a blind test, 143 volunteers were not able to tell the difference.
Volunteers were offered three identical cups containing tap water, recycled waste water and bottled water.
MOST POPULAR TODAY ON YAHOO
- Russia bites back and says it will expel British diplomats
- Freezing weather expected this weekend as Met Office issues yellow warning for snow and ice
- Watch: Shocking moment gang member grabs pen and attacks witness in court before being shot dead
- Memorial benches installed by relatives of the deceased ‘are turning beauty spots into graveyards’
- In pictures: The top 10 happiest countries in the world
Tap water emerged as the least-chosen options, with most volunteers equally divided between the other two.
Daniel Harmon, lead author, said: ‘It seems that the idea of recycled water in general, evokes disgust reactions.
‘It is important to make recycled water less scary to people who are concerned about it, as it is an important source of water now and in the fu