Tributes have been paid at a vigil for elderly man who died after he was robbed of his mobility scooter

Tributes have been paid at a vigil for an elderly man whose death sparked a murder probe after he was robbed of his mobility scooter. Neil Shadwick, 63, died just hours after being found unresponsive in sub-zero temperatures in a Tesco car park. Police initially launched a murder probe and Kimberley Ann Hawkins, 40, was arrested in connection with his death. She appeared before Cheltenham Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (January 26) charged with robbing Mr Shadwick of his mobility scooter and was remanded in custody. She remains under investigation for murder after Gloucestershire police said a post-mortem examination had returned inconclusive results. But neighbours and friends of the victim have now come together to remember him at a poignant vigil. And they paid tribute to his "great love of music" and described him as a "loved character. Flowers, cards and photos of him have been laid on a bench outside the Tesco in Stroud, Glos., where he was found. One message reads: “Neil you will be missed, you helped in the cafe putting the tables up for us and were always happy for a chat. May you rest in peace.” Jaqui Smith from Paganhill Community Group said they organised Friday's vigil to remember Neil. “Neil was my neighbour and friend. He was a loved character in Paganhill and many were shocked by his death,” she said. “We will all miss him and wanted to gather near where he was left at Tesco car park to remember him. “We told each other our memories and remembered his great love of music and being part of a band in his youth. “He had struggled with Parkinsons for the greater part of his life. “Big thanks to his carers and the PCSOs and police who helped him and were present at the vigil.” Neil’s children and siblings said in a an earlier statement: "We’re grieving for the death of our father and brother and would ask that our privacy is respected at this difficult time." Police were called to the Tesco car park on Stratford Road in Stroud, Glos., at around 6am on Sunday, January 22, after he was found unresponsive. He died in Gloucestershire Royal Hospital later that day. Hawkins was remanded in custody until her next hearing at Gloucester Crown Court on February 16.