I hear the cast arrived last Thursday as scheduled. After three rounds of COVID-19 tests on the 377 actors and crew members all came back negative, filming started yesterday, Aug. 4, sources said. I hear Perry used a Georgia lab for two of the tests and an independent lab for the third to assure accurate results.
More from Deadline
- 'The Haves And The Have Nots': Return Date & Teaser For Tyler Perry's OWN Drama
- 'Genius: Aretha' Doesn't Know When COVID-19 Halted Atlanta Production Will Resume; Music Exec Clive Davis Not Cast Yet - TCA
- Tyler Perry Gives Progress Report On Producing His Shows During Pandemic, Shares His Hope For The Industry & The Country
Perry employs a quarantine bubble model, sequestering cast and crew on the lot for the duration of a shoot. The production follows a 30-page document Perry sent to his teams in May, outlining the plan in great detail. It starts with an initial check-in testing while everyone is sequestered in their rooms. In the case of Sistas, that pre-filming test produced four positives.
After The Oval finishes production in two weeks, Perry has scheduled back-to-back shoots of his BET+ series, Bruh and Ruthless, on the lot.
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: New Cases Break Record 70,000 For The First Time; Infections Up 40% Since Early July
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto