The US killed up to 200 Russia troops in airstrikes on Syria the potential US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has revealed.
Speaking during his confirmation hearing in Washington, Pompeo said the casualties came during strikes on forces loyal to Syria’s President Bashar al_Assad in February.
‘In Syria, now, a handful of weeks ago, the Russians met their match. A couple hundred Russians were killed,’ he said.
His revelation came as the US considers further airstrikes against the regime in retribution for the chemical attacks on a the town of Douma, which claimed more than 60 lives.
MOST POPULAR TODAY ON YAHOO
- Bargain hunter buys car for 100 mile trip to Bristol because it’s cheaper than the train
- Instagram model films final moments before private plane crashes, killing six people
- Three ‘coronal holes’ appear on the sun as solar storm buffets Earth
- Death of man found naked on Cornwall beach with sock in his mouth remains unsolved after open verdict recorded
- Car ploughs into pedestrian during vigil for cyclist killed in hit-and-run
Pompeo, who has described Russia as the ‘enemy’ to the US, has been named by Donald Trump to replace Rex Tillerson, who was sacked in February, allegedly after finding out only when the president tweeted he was out of a job.
Pompeo is a former Tea Party representative.
Seen as a foreign policy hawk, he is opposed to the nuclear deal with Iran, negotiated by Trump’s predecessor, Barack Obama.
During his hearing, Pompeo also admitted that he had been interviewed by RObert Mueller as part of the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 US presidential election.
‘I spoke with Special Counsel Mueller, who interviewed me,’ he said. ‘Requested an interview, I cooperated.’
However he would give no further details about his conservation with investigators.