Video shows terrifying moment that electronic cigarette explodes in man's pocket

This video shows the terrifying moment an electronic cigarette exploded in its owner’s pocket.

Nightclub owner Amine Britel was standing outside his nightclub in Toulouse, France, when the device started to spark.

Footage of the incident shows Amine jumping in shock as the cigarette bursts into flame, and desperately trying to escape from the fire in his pocket as friends rush to help him.

Britel reportedly said: “All of a sudden I heard a loud bang and a noise like a flare had gone off, only ten times louder.

“And after the shock of the explosion, I realised that I had caught fire.”

Terrifying footage shows the moment an e-cigarette explodes in a man's pocket
Terrifying footage shows the moment an e-cigarette explodes in a man’s pocket

Emergency services rushed to the scene and took Amine to the nearby Rangueil Hospital emergency room where he was treated for second degree burns to his abdomen. His jacket was also melted by the flames.

MORE: The end of the world will begin in 2017, Christians say – and it’s predicted in the Bible
MORE: This woman spent the last 50 years celebrating her birthday on the WRONG day

Amine is now expected to have to undergo weeks of treatment for the severe burns he suffered.

He is reported to have said he believed the fire had been sparked by the e-cigarette battery coming into contact with money in his pocket.