West Sussex murder investigation as man beaten to death inside Wetherspoon pub after England draw

Police on the scene of a serious assault in Chichester, West Sussex.
-Credit: (Image: Tony Kershaw / SWNS)

A murder investigation has been launched after a man was beaten to death in a Wetherspoon pub following England's 1-1 draw with Denmark on Thursday (June 20). The victim, a 57-year-old man from South Yorkshire, is believed to have been targeted in a football-related attack at the Dolphin and Anchor Wetherspoon in West Sussex, less than three hours after the Euro 2024 game ended.

Despite the efforts of emergency services who performed CPR outside the pub, the man was pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been informed.

Two men have been arrested in connection with the incident - a 30-year-old from Birmingham on suspicion of murder, and a 42-year-old from County Durham on suspicion of affray. Both are currently in police custody.

Police are working to trace a third suspect. Sussex Police have appealed for anyone with information about the incident to come forward. A spokesperson for the force said: "The cause of the incident remains under investigation, and we're urging anyone with information to come forward as we seek to establish the full circumstances," reports the Mirror.

Detective Chief Inspector Suzanne Joseph, of the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, added: "This incident led to the tragic death of a 57-year-old man, and our thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time. It happened in a busy pub in the city centre, and we're urging anyone with information to come forward as we seek to establish the exact circumstances.

"If you saw what happened, or if you captured any relevant mobile or CCTV footage, please contact us. You can report it online or call 101, quoting Operation Arunside."

For those who wish to remain anonymous, they can provide information to independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or submit a report online. In the aftermath of the incident, officers cordoned off a section of the city centre. Sussex Police have stated that the public should "expect to see an increased police presence in the area as enquiries continue".