Coatbridge mum jailed after leaving boyfriend 'screaming in agony' in boiling water attack

A young mum has been jailed for three years after pouring a kettle of boiling water over her boyfriend.

Terri Letham's horrific attack left Jordan Finnon screaming in agony as burns covered the side of his face and arm. The assault happened when the couple argued at her home in Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, on December 8 last year.

Airdrie Sheriff Court heard the victim was treated in hospital for his injuries and has lasting scars, but he refused to cooperate with the police investigation. Letham, 24, admitted assaulting Jordan to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement. She was on three bail orders at the time.

READ MORE: Pensioner who paid 'life savings' for her own funeral left thousands out of pocket

READ MORE: Glasgow travel chaos as roads and train lines flooded amid second weather warning

Lauren Cole, prosecuting, said the couple and Letham's brother were in the flat around 10pm. She told the court: "An argument broke out in the living room between Letham and Mr Finnon.

"Her brother went into the kitchen and put the kettle on to boil. The argument continued then Letham went into the kitchen, reached for the kettle and poured water over Mr Finnon, catching the left side of his face and body.

"He began screaming in pain to the extent that a neighbour called the flats concierge to express concern for him. Mr Finnon then made his way downstairs in the elevator, told a member of staff that water had been poured over him and requested an ambulance.

"Police attended and saw that he had red sores and blisters on the side of his face, neck and left arm. He refused to give a statement but was seen on a doorbell video as he left the flat with burns, shouting repeatedly 'What was that for, Terri?'

"Nurses at accident and emergency gave him pain relief and his burns were cleaned and dressed. He was referred to a burns surgeon but left hospital the same night."

Mrs Cole said police officers spoke to Mr Finnon again last month. He was "uncooperative" but they noticed scars on his arm. Letham also admitted hitting a man on the face with a glass and headbutting another male in separate incidents. Neither of those victims suffered serious injury.

Join Glasgow Live's WhatsApp community here and get the latest news sent straight to your messages

Defence lawyer Mark Lutton said the mum of two suffered childhood trauma and domestic abuse as an adult.

He stated: "She requires to deal with the significant trauma she has faced. The assault on Mr Finnon was an impulsive act. Her regret and remorse appear to be genuine.

"She wishes to change her lifestyle and is motivated by her children to do so."

Sheriff Derek Livingston told Letham: "It's difficult to know how to deal with you. You assaulted people on a number of occasions with little provocation.

"It's fortunate you didn't cause more damage. I take account of the fact that you are technically a young offender, but I must also take account of the serial violence."

Letham was jailed for 37 months, backdated to December 12 as she has been in custody since then. The sheriff said she will be under social work supervision for a year on her release "in order to protect the public from serious harm".

Join Glasgow Live's WhatsApp community here and get the latest news sent straight to your messages.