Health secretary Matt Hancock has tested positive for coronavirus.
The latest development comes after Boris Johnson announced he had tested positive for COVID-19.
Hancock, who is part of Johnson’s coronavirus “war cabinet”, said in a video message that he will be self-isolating until Thursday.
He said: “Fortunately for me, the symptoms so far have been very mild so I’ve been able to carry on with the work driving forward the UK response.
He also said a “massive thank you to everybody in the NHS, working in social care and right across the board on the response”.
Hancock went on: “I’ll be continuing to do everything I can to get our carers the support that they need. And I’ll be doing that from here but with no less gusto.
“And then from next Thursday, once I’m out of self-isolation and I hope with no more symptoms, then I’ll be able to get back stuck in and into the office where necessary.
“But the truth is that all of us can learn that working from home can be really, really effective.”
Latest coronavirus news, updates and advice
Hancock’s Labour counterpart, shadow health secretary Jon Ashworth, said in response: “Take care and get well soon Matt. Look after yourself and best wishes to you and your loved ones.”
Meanwhile, Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove, who is also part of the coronavirus “war cabinet”, has not been tested for coronavirus, his wife Sarah Vine said on Twitter. Vine said he had not shown any symptoms.