Foreign Office update to anyone travelling to Spain

A Spanish flag
The latest update was posted by the Foreign Office online as a warning to tourists -Credit:Getty Images

Losing your passport can open up a whole new world of stress at what should be a relaxing time.

The guidance that has been listed on the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office's section about Spain warned: "If your passport is lost or stolen, you must renew your passport or apply for an emergency travel document. You cannot use a police report to leave Spain."

If your passport gets lost or stolen, you must cancel it before applying for a replacement. You can do that on the GOV.UK website here.

READ MORE: Jurgen Klopp's wife changed lives in a Merseyside town and never said a word about it

READ MORE: He was sent to prison because of what was on his 'remarkable' graft phone

Alternatively, if the replacement process will take too long, travellers can get an emergency travel document. An emergency travel document lets you travel from abroad if you need to travel urgently and cannot use your UK passport.

It is usually only valid for one single or return journey. You can travel through a maximum of five countries.

You can apply for an emergency travel document if all the following apply:

  • you’re a British national

  • you’re outside the UK

  • you need to travel within 6 weeks

  • your UK passport has been lost, stolen, damaged, is full, has recently expired or is with HM Passport Office or a foreign embassy

  • you cannot renew or replace your UK passport from abroad before you travel

  • you have had a valid UK passport in the last 10 years

Before you apply, check if an emergency travel document will be accepted in the countries you plan to leave, enter and travel through. This includes whether you need a visa.

After you apply, your old passport will usually be automatically cancelled once you have paid the £100 fee for your emergency travel document. You’ll be told if your passport will not be cancelled, for example because it’s with an embassy or you’ve already applied for a new passport.

You’ll get an email update about your application. Once approved, you’ll be told how and when to collect your emergency travel document and whether you need to do anything else, like attend an appointment at your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate

Your emergency travel document will usually be ready to collect two working days after you apply. In some cases, it may take several weeks if, for example, your original British passport has expired, you’re applying for a child under 16 or you haven't paid the £100.

Don't miss the biggest and breaking stories by signing up to the Echo Daily newsletter here