An 11-year-old girl has given birth to a baby fathered by her 14-year-old brother, it has been reported.
She gave birth to the baby boy at Virgen de la Arrixaca Hospital in the city of Murcia in Spain on Friday.
The girl was admitted with “stomach pains” before she had the baby.
Police were called in to investigate and have found the father of the child is the girl’s older brother.
The girl’s mother is believed to be from Bolivia.
MOST POPULAR ON YAHOO UK TODAY
- Five ways you can protect information online on Safer Internet Day 2018
- First picture of ‘perfect’ boy, aged 9, thought to be youngest victim of latest flu outbreak
- Fake Donald Trump stockmarket tweet goes viral after British man’s joke backfires
- The EU ‘could get rid of British Summer Time’ as Finns push for change
- When do old £10 notes go out of circulation? And how long will banks accept them for?
It was reported that the girl’s brother was 13 when she got pregnant. He is not likely to face criminal proceedings under Spanish law because he is below the age of criminal responsibility.
Mother and baby are reported to be “doing well”.
The girl’s parents said they were not aware she was pregnant until they brought her to the hospital, believing she had a serious intestinal problem.
A DNA test will be carried out to establish if the claims about the baby’s father are true.
Regional health authority chief Manuel Villegas said the case was “absolutely exceptional”.
He said: “We have to wait now. An investigation is still ongoing and when everything has been clarified, we’ll see what has happened and if we can help in some way.”
Spain’s age of consent was raised from 13 to 16 in 2013 but an exception is made if sex is consensual when the boy is of similar age.
The girl isn’t the youngest mother in Spain – in October 2010, a ten-year-old girl gave birth at a hospital in Jerez.
(Main picture: PA)