A survivor of the Grenfell Tower fire has been diagnosed with cyanide poisoning.
It come only weeks after it was suggested that the burning cladding on the West London tower block may have released toxic fumes.
Medical discharge papers, obtained by the BBC, show that 12-year-old Luana Gomes was treated effects caused by the toxic gas, while her mother and sister were also treated as a precaution.
Her mother, Andreia, was seven months pregnant at the time of the blaze, but she has since lost the unborn child in the aftermath of the fire.
MORE: New Kensington council leader admits she had never been in a tower block before Grenfell fire
MORE: Grenfell Tower fire: Latest victims named as 32-year-old Zainab Deen and 61-year-old Hamid Kani
After all three arrived at Kings College Hospital, they were placed in medically induced comas.
Luana’s record shows that she was diagnosed with ‘smoke inhalation injury’ and ‘cyanide poisoning’.
The record also shows that she received two doses of the drug hydroxycobalamine ‘for cyanide poisoning.’
Dr Johann Grundlingh, a clinical toxicologist and emergency critical care consultant, told the BBC that cyanide poisoning could potentially cause near-instant death.
‘The effects are really quick… you could die within seconds depending on the level of exposure’, he said.
‘When you breathe in oxygen normally, your cells produce energy. Cyanide blocks your capability to produce energy from oxygen.’
Yesterday, haunting footage showed investigators re-entering Grenfell Tower for the first time since the blaze as they continue to investigate how it claimed the lives of more than 80 people.