Grieving Vinnie Jones gets back to work on 'The X Factor'

Katie Archer
Contributor
(Getty)

Brave Vinnie Jones has returned to work at The X Factor just a week after losing his wife.

The ex-footballer-turned-actor’s wife Tanya, 53, died of cancer on July 6 at their home in Los Angeles after a six-year battle with the disease.

Jones, 54, has now started working on the Hollywood-based production for the new celebrity version of the Simon Cowell show, due on screens later this year.

Read more: Tanya Jones dies aged 53

He’s said to have recently met with surprised producers, who had assumed that he would want to drop out, and some of the other famous faces taking part in the competition.

Vinnie and Tanya Jones were married for 25 years (Getty)

The grieving star is apparently looking to throw himself into the show as he adjusts to life without his wife of 25 years.

A source told The Sun: “Vinnie had agreed to be part of the show some time ago but that was before he went through the tragedy of losing his wife.

“Obviously most of the team expected a phone call saying he wouldn’t be involved any more.

“But instead he came along and made it clear he wants to throw himself straight into this project.”

Jones is thought to have not taken part in the on-camera filming that was taking place, but chatted with producers and rehearsed a couple of songs.

Cowell is launching the celebrity version of The X Factor alongside an all-stars series featuring previous contestants from the show’s history.

Read more: Simon Cowell hints David Walliams will do celebrity X Factor

It’s the latest plan to turn around the ratings slump which the show has suffered in recent years, regularly losing out in viewing figures to BBC One rival Strictly Come Dancing.

Jones and his wife revealed in 2013 that they were both battling skin cancer, with Tanya having previously been treated for cervical cancer twice.

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK