Half of Briton’s believe that the UK did more than other country to beat Hitler, a survey has found.
Just 13% say the Russians did the most, while even less (9%) think the Americans are the ones to credit for bringing down Hitler.
However, other countries take a different point of view.
Some 65% of France and 34% of Germany believe it was the United States that were the most important nation in the fight against Hitler – while 47% of Americans voted for themselves.
Each three nations give a lot less credit to Britain – 7% of Germans, 9% of Americans and 11% of French said Britain did the most.
MOST POPULAR TODAY ON YAHOO
- Oxford city centre reopens after armed siege between gunman and police ends peacefully
- Fury over mountains of of litter left by Bank Holiday drinkers on British beauty spot
- ‘Miracle boy’ Trenton McKinley, 13, wakes up after being declared brain dead and parents agreed to donate organs
- Here’s why some people’s hair goes grey early, according to science
- IKEA fans who travelled 100 miles are turned away after new store gets opening date wrong
The survey was taken after Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson was criticised for comparing Russian President Vladimir Putin to Hitler.
The Russian ambassador to Britain responded by claiming that it was Russia who defeated the Nazis.