Former glamour model Katie Price told a court she was unable to immediately pay a £1,100 fine as she was banned from driving for a second time.
The 40-year-old was handed the three-month disqualification and ordered to pay a total of £1,295 – including the fine and costs – when she appeared at Crawley Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.
The reality star was summonsed to answer charges of driving while disqualified and without insurance after she was spotted driving a Ford Fiesta on the A24 near her West Sussex home on July 25 at 8pm – while a six-month driving ban was still in place.
Arriving in a black saloon car and greeted by a large pack of photographers, she wore a brown fur Cossack-style hat and matching poncho with black leggings and sunglasses, flanked by two bodyguards and several advisers.
She removed her hat before entering the court room with her lawyer, who carried a large brown bag for her.
Standing in the dock, she confirmed her name, date of birth and address before sitting down to listen to the proceedings.
Prosecutor Gaynor Byng told the court Price drove back from the short stay car park at Gatwick Airport to Dial Post, a hamlet near Horsham, with her children after travelling by train into London to take her son to a medical appointment.
She phoned police, who confirmed she was banned after a newspaper informed her of the breach and she also posted about it on Instagram, magistrates were told.
Initially she arranged to meet with police but then failed to attend the interview and “did not respond to further contact”, Ms Byng added.
Price had been subject to a six-month ban since February 9.
Paul Macaulay, defending, said she had mistakenly believed it was dated from an earlier hearing on January 12, meaning it would have ended by July 11 before she got behind the wheel.
He conceded she never contacted the DVLA to reinstate her driving licence, telling magistrates she was “not the best” at paperwork.
Describing it as a “slightly unusual case”, Mr Macaulay urged magistrates not to impose a further ban because it would cause Price “a lot of hardship” while she tried to get her son to medical appointments and visit her terminally-ill mother – who lives around 20 miles from her.
He said during the first ban she had paid people to drive and relied on family, friends and her husband, but they were separated and no longer living together.
Her mother Amy Price was diagnosed with lung cancer and has been given three years to live.
Chairman of the bench Serena Stewart told her: “Everyone who is disqualified is given the same warnings about driving.
“We find a period of disqualification is necessary now. We have kept this to the minimum.
“Our advice is not to drive until you have your licence in your hand.”
Asked if she was able to pay before leaving court, she said: “No I’m not.”
She was ordered to settle the bill within 14 days.
Last year, Price was granted time by a judge to negotiate a deal with HMRC over her finances after a High Court hearing.
It also emerged her clothing brand was left with £13 in the bank and could shut down after just two years.
The mother-of-five was once estimated to be worth around £40 million.
Price thanked magistrates as she left the court room and made no comment to reporters as she drove away.
She will face magistrates again next month as she stands trial after denying being almost twice the legal alcohol limit while legally in charge of a pink Range Rover.