- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Kevin Spacey is planning to “voluntarily” return to the UK to answer charges of sexual assault.
The Oscar-winning actor said on Tuesday that he will not fight extradition proceedings against the four sexual assault charges authorised against him last week by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
The alleged offences against three men date back to the time when Spacey, 62, was in charge of London’s Old Vic Theatre.
He told the chat show Good Morning America he was “disappointed” with the CPS decision to charge him but would travel to the UK and appear in court to “defend” his innocence.
Through a spokesman, he said: “I very much appreciate the Crown Prosecution Service’s statement in which they carefully reminded the media and the public that I am entitled to a fair trial and innocent until proven otherwise.
“While I am disappointed with their decision to move forward, I will voluntarily appear in the UK as soon as can be arranged and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence.”
Last week, Rosemary Ainslie, the head of the CPS Special Crime Division, said: “The CPS has authorised criminal charges against Kevin Spacey, 62, for four counts of sexual assault against three men.
“The CPS has also authorised one charge of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent. The authority to charge follows a review of the evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police in its investigation.”
“The CPS reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Mr Spacey are active and that he has the right to a fair trial.”
The four offences allegedly took place in London and Gloucestershire between March 2005 and April 2013. They include two counts of sexual assault on a man, now in his 40s, in March 2005.
Spacey is also accused of sexually assaulting a second man, now in his 30s, in August 2008 in London, and of forcing him to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent.
A third alleged victim, now in his 30s, said he had been sexually assaulted by Spacey in Gloucestershire in April 2013.
The CPS announcement sparked speculation about whether the UK Government would have to initiate extradition proceedings against Spacey, a US citizen who is believed to reside in New York, in order to get him to appear in a British court.
Spacey has not been formally charged as he is abroad. He has previously denied all the allegations against him.