Kiara Moore death: Police warning over malicious Facebook posts after two-year-old girl drowns in car

Sophie Williams
Police have warned people about making malicious comments following the death of Kiara Moore: Facebook

Police have issued a warning after malicious messages were posted online following the death of a two-year-old who drowned in a car that plunged into a river.

Kiara Moore was recovered from a silver Mini that had gone into the River Teifi in Cardigan, Wales, on Monday.

Police said vicious content speculating about the child's death had been posted on social media and that anyone found to be spreading anything malicious could face action.

In a statement, Dyfed Powys Police said: “We ask people to think very carefully before posting and not to speculate on circumstances of incidents.

Trio: Kiara with her father, Jet Moore, and mother Kim Rowland ()

“We are aware of comments on threads across social media which are being looked at.

“Posts considered to be malicious will be recorded and police action may follow.”

​Kiara's father Jet Moore had shared a tribute to his daughter on Facebook on Tuesday, writing: "She had a loving family and made us all happy. Love her so much.

“Kiara was an incredible, happy young girl who lived I hope a great adventurous fun life. And may have done more than most people.”

The post on Facebook also attracted negative comments with those posting condolences becoming involved in arguments with those posting vicious comments.

Happy pair: Kiara Moore and mum Kimberly Rowlands ()

Michelle Coleman wrote: "These posts should be condolences only. So disrespectful to the little girls life. So sorry this has happened. My heart breaking for all the family."

While Rachel Knox commented: "So sorry. It could have happened to any of us. Please don't listen to the awful comments."

Officers were called to look for Kiara at around 3.30pm on Monday and said the vehicle was last seen near the old Scout Hall on the Strand, where her father Jet Moore runs an outdoor adventure business.

Initially her frantic family believed the vehicle may have been stolen from outside and posted on social media appealing for help to locate the vehicle and Kiara.

A search revealed that she was inside the Mini which had gone into the river.

A slipway near the scene where the little girl was recovered (PA)

Kiara was airlifted to University Hospital Wales in Cardiff where she was later pronounced dead.

Mr Moore said in the now-deleted Facebook post: : "They got in the car to go home. Sat on bank card which snapped and needed money to get home etc.

"Went back to the office to get money from the desk and came back to no car. Looked in the river no signs. So we thought she and the car had been taken.

"The police found the car a while later and went way beyond the call of duty jumping in and pulling her out.

"They tried to revive her for hours but unfortunately could not. Everyone done their best."

Flowers and cards were left near the old Scout Hall on the Strand.

Flowers left beside the River Teifi (PA)

Next to the building, on a slipway that leads to the river, Grace Hills, 32, and her one-year-old son Parker placed a bunch of flowers, a pink heart helium balloon and a card.

Mrs Hills said she worked at a baby and toddler group in Dre-Fach Felindre that Kiara attended, and the card was one her son had made while painting with her.

She Hills said she did not know exactly what happened "but I just feel very sad for the little girl and for the family".

Mrs Hills added: "She is going to be missed.

"She was a lovely little smiley girl, always happy."