Although it has been reported that talks are already being planned and that a meeting must be arranged by April, ahead of the King’s coronation on May 6, it is understood that there is currently no dialogue, spoken or written, with Harry “at this moment in time”.
The King, supported by William, is determined not to “jump to judgement” over the fall-out from Harry’s claims, informed sources say. An insider said: “He has never been one to make quick judgements. There is no appetite at this moment in time to engage.”
Throughout this latest furore, Buckingham Palace has made no comment. Last week, in interviews to promote his book, Harry claimed he wanted “reconciliation” and he was “willing to forgive”.
However, Harry himself admitted in his 60 Minutes interview in the US that he has not spoken to his father and brother for some time. Asked if he and William send each other texts, he replied: “Currently, no. But I look forward to us being able to find peace.”
William is understood to be “in no mood” for reconciliation talks after he was accused of physically attacking his brother. Neither is Queen Camilla, who was called “dangerous” by her stepson in his book.
One senior figure dismissed talk of an olive branch being handed to Harry at the weekend as “imaginative”.
In an interview this weekend, Harry claimed he had left some stories about the King and William out of the book. He said: “It could have been two books, put it that way. And the hard bit was taking things out.”