Your Kodi box could electrocute you or burn your house down, experts warn

One million ‘Kodi box’ pirate devices sold in the UK in last two years

Many illicit devices used to stream TV shows and films – known as ‘Kodi boxes’ – have dangerous power supplies which could electrocute users or burn houses down.

Tests by Electrical Safety First on devices entering the UK found that 100% of the power supplies for the streaming gadgets failed electrical safety tests.

New report from FACT and Electrical Safety First finds that overwhelming majority of power supplies for illicit streaming devices pose substantial fire and electrical risks to consumers.

Most popular on Yahoo News UK

Here’s why you should never end your text messages with a full stop
Police arrest 49-year-old man on suspicion of murdering missing teenager Gaia Pope
Rolf Harris has one of his 12 sexual assault convictions overturned
NASA solves mystery of eerie ‘whistling’ in upper atmosphere
Donald Trump describes world leader who admits killing people as ‘a good guy’

The Intellectual Property Office (IPO) estimates that more than one million of these illegal devices have been sold in the UK in the last two years, representing a significant risk to the general public.

None of the gadgets were manufactured in accordance with the safety objectives given in Schedule 1 of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, the testers said.

Steve Curtler, Product Safety Manager at Electrical Safety First said, “This year consumers thinking about buying an illegal streaming device for Christmas need to know that by plugging them into their TV they could be potentially be putting themselves, their home and their family at risk.

‘We urge anyone with one of these devices to unplug it and stop using it immediately. Not only are these devices breaking the law, but they could be putting your loved ones at risk.’

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes