The Palace Announces Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Won't Use 'Sussex Royal' Branding

Alyssa Bailey

From ELLE

The big question of whether or not Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's brand name will continue on as Sussex Royal post-royal exit has been answered. A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said in a statement this afternoon that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will choose a different name going forward, one without "royal" in it due to UK government rules. Sussex Royal was initially trademarked only to prevent other people from using it.

Royal reporter Omid Scobie tweeted out the statement, which read in full:

While the Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organization, given the specific UK government rules surrounding use of the word 'Royal,' it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organization, when it is announced this Spring, will not be named Sussex Royal Foundation.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use "SussexRoyal" in any territory post Spring 2020.

Therefore the trademark applications that were filed as protective measures, acting on advice from and following the same model for The Royal Foundation, have been removed.

The statement comes hours after Daily Mail published a smeary report claiming Meghan told friends that she intends to use Sussex Royal regardless of the Queen's feelings about it. Clearly that was off the mark.

Buckingham Palace announced earlier this week that Meghan and Harry's transition out of their senior royal family roles will begin March 31. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be back in England to do their final events as working royal family members starting at the end of next week. The couple's next joint engagement will be the Endeavor Awards on March 5.

You Might Also Like