Developing

Patient's Skin Set On Fire At NHS Hospital

A patient undergoing surgery was set on fire when the solution used to clean their skin ignited, an NHS Trust has confirmed.

The incident happened at Scarborough Hospital in North Yorkshire on Monday, February 27.

Staff were also burned during the incident.

The patient was treated for the injuries and transferred to Castle Hill Hospital in East Yorkshire "as a precaution". They were later returned to Scarborough Hospital and then discharged.

Liz Booth, director of operations at Scarborough and North East Yorkshire NHS Trust , said they were "extremely sorry".

She said: "I can confirm that during a surgical procedure a solution used to clean the skin ignited, causing skin burns to the patient.

"The skin burn was treated immediately and the patient was kept in hospital overnight. As a precaution, the patient was transferred to Castle Hill for further assessment and on return was discharged.

"We are extremely sorry for any pain and distress caused to the patient.

"A full investigation commenced within minutes of the incident occurring and a final report will be produced and shared with the family."

It comes just days after it was confirmed another NHS patient, this time at St Ebba's hospital in Surrey, was attacked by a rat as he lay sedated.

POLL

Do you think Boris Johnson has what it takes to be the future leader of the Conservative Party?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options