A puppy has died after "suffering from a heart attack" after experiencing extreme distress caused by fireworks on Saturday night.
Molly, an 18-week-old terrier, was left terrified by loud bangs in the Wombwell area in South Yorkshire, which apparently caused her death, according to her owner.
Susan Paterson wrote in a Facebook group called Wombwell Wise: "Due to the enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off around Wombwell and lower Darfield last night, we lost a young terrier with a heart attack.
"Please think of the animals. Molly was only 18 weeks old and died of FRIGHT caused by fireworks."
She urged people to support FAB Anti Random Fireworks page and sign their petition calling for a full review of laws around fireworks in order to protect animals from injury and distress.
She then urged people to follow the FAB Anti random Firework page and sign their petition.
FAB shared the post writing: "Is this fair? Molly, poor sweet pup. Her heart gave out with fear.
“Her sister Sally the blonde pup will miss her greatly and will be traumatised seeing her sister die. This can't go on.... We need to ALL join together.”
Julie Doorne, who began the petition, wrote: "They don’t only suffer psychologically, but also physically as many attempt to run away from, or hide from, the bangs.
"With extreme noise levels and people being able to let off fireworks any time of year, it’s difficult for those who care for animals to be able to put measures in place to protect their animals."
The petition, which has nearly 500,000 signatures already, states around 40% of all dogs are fearful of loud noises.
This was in addition to the 54% of cat owners who also reported their animals were showing signs of distress.
This means that potentially thousands of animals’ lives are made a misery by fireworks every year.
READ MORE FROM YAHOO NEWS
Figures from the RSPCA show hundreds of calls from concerned animal lovers - about animals including alpacas and an African grey parrot as well as dogs and horses - are made about fireworks every year to the charity.
A spokesperson told Yahoo news that since 2014 the charity has received 2,285 calls about fireworks, with 411 of these calls last year alone
Last month, hundreds of people slammed a poster advertisement 'mocking' dogs' suffering on Bonfire Night.
Cheltenham Fireworks advertised a picture of a dog wearing ear defenders with the caption: "We don't sell pet ear defenders but we do sell fawking good fireworks!"
Councillor Sean Woodward, leader of Fareham Borough Council, who owns a 13-year-old German Shepherd called Layla, saw the ad and said: “I think it’s distasteful and should be reported to the Advertising Standards Authority.
“It’s of extremely poor taste, many pets suffer many nights of the year."