'I reported London terrorist to police - but they never got back to me'

All three suspects were shot dead by police

A man who says he knew one of the London terror attackers has claimed he reported him to the anti-terror hotline two years ago – but that they “didn’t get back to me”.

The man, who doesn’t want to be identified, said “absolutely nothing” happened after he contacted the hotline, which received more than 22,000 calls last year.

He told the BBC: “He had a justification for anything for everything and anything.

“What happened after he reported him: ‘Nothing, absolutely nothing, they didn’t get back to me nor was he arrested or you know just picked up for any kind of questioning.

“He was thrown out of a mosque, maybe over a year and a half ago, his local mosque, because of his radical views.

“The Muslim community in general get a lot of criticism over how we don’t root out extremism in our community. I did my bit, I know a lot of people did but the authorities didn’t do their bit and that’s what’s shocking.”

The UK’s security services have said they know the identities of the three behind the atrocity that left seven people dead and 21 fighting for their lives – and that they will name them as soon as they can.

Eleven people arrested on Sunday remained in custody.

Two further addresses in east London were searched on Monday morning, with a number of people detained.

As more details of the suspected terrorists emerged, Theresa May came under fire over her track record of policing cuts during her tenure as Home Secretary.

Jeremy Corbyn has backed calls for her to resign.

Police detain a man in Barking on Sunday morning in connection with the London Bridge attack. (PA)

On Monday morning, Dublin security sources revealed that one of the attackers was carrying an Irish identity card and was married to a Scottish woman.

Another jihadist appeared in a national TV documentary and was known to security services.

The 27-year-old extremist from Barking, east London, who has only been named as ‘Abz’ at the request of Metropolitan Police, appeared on the programme about British jihadis last year.

In the documentary, he was filmed alongside notorious hate preachers, praying before an Islamic State (Isis) flag.

The attacker, who, along with two accomplices, was shot dead by police at the scene, was pictured wearing an Arsenal shirt.

Last night, it emerged that ‘Abz’, who is believed to have been born in Pakistan but raised in the UK, worked at a branch of KFC and, later, London Underground.

 

The terror suspect, third from right, appeared in a documentary about Islamic extremism last year

Some of those who knew him said his extremist views were well known, while others reacted in disbelief.

Erica Gasparri, an Italian mother of three who lived close to him, said she confronted him for trying to “brainwash” her children.

She said: “He was trying to radicalise the children, he would go down to the park and talk to them about Islam. He also came to the houses and gave the kids money and sweets during Ramadan.”

TERROR IN LONDON – LATEST COVERAGE FROM YAHOO UK:

She added that she reported the information to police, who told her the information had been passed to Scotland Yard.

However, others described him as “polite and normal”, and said they were shocked to learn that he could have carried out the horrific attack.

One neighbour, Ken Chigbo, 26, a market analyst, claimed the terror suspect had recently asked him how to go about hiring a vehicle.

He said: “I was in the process of loading up a van I had rented as we are moving house and he came over for a chat.

“He was lovely, really enthusiastic about my move and was really nice saying he wished me all the best. He said to me, ‘Oh, where did you get your van, Ken? How much is it, is it possible to get in automatic?’ All these specific questions about the van, which obviously now makes sense in my head. At the time I didn’t think anything of it.”

The terrorists brought carnage to the streets of the capital on Saturday night, mowing down pedestrians with a van on London Bridge, in an attack Isis has since claimed responsibility for.

The three men, who brandished foot-long knifes, stabbed a police officer and people dining and drinking around Borough Market after crashing the rented vehicle.

The men, wearing explosive vests that later turned out to be fake, were reportedly shouting: “this is for Allah” as they carried out their rampage.

Twelve people were arrested on Sunday in Barking in connection with the attack, with one reportedly “shot or tasered” during the swoop.

Building worker Seva Litvjakovs, 35, who lives in the block of flats, said he recognised images of ‘Abz’ online because of his football shirt.

“I read news reports and ­began putting together what had happened. I realised that one of the attackers looked exactly like one of my neighbours,” he said.

“I looked on Twitter and saw one of the terrorists who had been shot by police and he looked 90 per cent like my neighbour. He was even wearing the same Arsenal shirt that I had seen him in at 5pm that evening.”

A former friend of the terrorist has claimed the 27-year-old had been radicalised while watching YouTube videos of American hate preacher Ahmad Musa Jibril.

He said he contacted the authorities ­after becoming concerned over his friend’s extremist views.

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes