CCTV footage has been released of the aftermath of an attack in London in which a man was stabbed to death on a busy street.
The attack took place in daylight on Monday and was witnessed by several members of the public, including a young girl.
Moments after the attack, a man is seen on CCTV fleeing from the scene in Upper Street, Islington. It is not known how he is connected with the incident, if at all.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “This investigation is in its very early stages – at this time officers are actively working to trace at least two male suspects believed to have been involved in the incident.”
Local business owner Gregory Barry said he saw the attack unfold over his CCTV.
He said: “There were two blokes in a van, it pulled up on the street.
“It looked like there was an altercation and the fight carried on outside the van.”
The victim, who has not yet been named, died at around 6.30pm on Monday, Scotland Yard said.
A cordon was put in place along the road, which is lined with high-end shops and restaurants.
MOST POPULAR TODAY ON YAHOO
- Sir Elton John’s reaction to Pastor Michael Curry’s Royal Wedding sermon is priceless
- Amazing moment Aer Lingus jet flew over crowds gathering at Windsor for Royal Wedding
- One expensive crash! Two supercars worth combined £300k in horror smash
- Man dies in Tesco Express in Oldham after ‘threats were made to supermarket staff’
- Watch: Hapless motorist enrages runners by driving on to half marathon route after ignoring road closuresIslington councillor Paul Convery described the attack as “horrifying”.
He tweeted: “Shocking incident on Upper Street right now outside Town Hall. Reported that man fatally stabbed.”
Police have launched an investigation but no arrests have yet been made.
A nearby church was opened for food and shelter after many residents were unable to access their homes.
Forensic officers were scanning the road near where the stabbing took place and a tent was erected over the spot where it happened.
Officers are appealing for anyone with information to contact the Metropolitan Police.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan tweeted: “I remain in close contact with @metpoliceuk, the local MP and Leader of the Council following a fatal stabbing in Islington this evening.
“This is being investigated by officers and my thoughts are with the victim’s family.”