Sleeping drug leaves one dead and seven in hospital amid fears of contaminated batch of pills

Close-up of a male hand holding a pill bottle pouring medication into his hand in his house
-Credit: (Image: Trevor Williams)

Seven people have been taken to hospital after taking the sleeping medication Zopiclone, prompting concerns over a "potential contaminated batch". Cleveland Police said it had received reports on Friday (June 28) of the adults being taken to North Tees General Hospital in Stockton-on-Tees, County Durham, Wales Online reports.

The force is also investigating the death of one man thought to have taken Zopiclone. The force said: "Officers are warning drug users of a potentially contaminated batch which could cause significant illness or lead to an overdose."

Zopiclone, usually used to treat insomnia, takes around an hour to work and helps users to fall asleep faster and stop waking in the night. The drug is usually taken as a tablet but doctors can order it in liquid form.

READ MORE: Person dies after E. coli outbreak 'spread by lettuce'

It triggers a calming chemical in the brain called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), according to the NHS website. The NHS warns against drinking alcohol after taking the drug because it can induce a "deep sleep where you find it difficult to wake up".

Users can become dependent on Zopiclone, the NHS said, and it is prescribed for just two to four weeks because it becomes less effective as the body gets used to it.

Get the biggest stories from around London straight to your inbox. Sign up to MyLondon's The 12 HERE for the 12 biggest stories each day.