Police confirm charge in investigation over T2 Trainspotting star's death

Photo credit: Rex

From Digital Spy

Update 13/5/19: An arrest has been made as police continue to investigate the shooting death of T2 Trainspotting star and boxer Bradley Welsh.

A spokesperson for Police Scotland confirmed to BBC News that a 28-year-old man had been charged in connection with Welsh's shooting, and he is set to appear in Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Tuesday (May 14).

This suspect is also being investigated for possible involvement in the attempted murder of a 48-year-old man and the assault of 22-year-old man in Edinburgh back in March.

"Members of the public are thanked for their assistance with both of these investigations," a representative for Police Scotland said.

Bradley, who also memorably appeared in Danny Dyer's Deadliest Men, was shot dead on a residential street in Edinburgh on April 17 in what police initially classified as an isolated attack.

Boxer Bradley Welsh, who appeared in 2017's T2 Trainspotting, has passed away.

According to reports, Bradley – who was just 48 years old – was shot and killed on Wednesday evening (April 17) on a residential street in Edinburgh. The police have confirmed that they are treating his death, an isolated attack, as murder.

Bradley, who also featured in an episode of Danny Dyer's Deadliest Men, was known for his charity work at a local boxing gym, where he helped young people stay away from a life of crime.

Related: Every Trainspotting reference in T2, from Lust for Life to Ewan McGregor's face

He starred as Mr Doyle in Danny Boyle's follow-up to Trainspotting, alongside the main cast Ewan McGregor, Ewen Bremner, Jonny Lee Miller, and Robert Carlyle.

Paying tribute on Twitter, Trainspotting author Irvine Welsh called Bradley an "amazing and beautiful friend".

"Bradley John Welsh, my heart is broken. Goodbye my amazing and beautiful friend. Thanks for making me a better person and helping me to see the world in a kinder and wiser way," he wrote.

In a statement, Detective Superintendent Allan Burton told the BBC: "At this time our deepest sympathies are with this man's family and a significant inquiry is now under way to trace everyone who was involved in the murder.

"I would ask that anyone who was within Chester Street, or the West End of Edinburgh on Wednesday evening, and who saw anyone, or anything suspicious, to contact the police immediately."

Want up-to-the-minute entertainment news and features? Just hit 'Like' on our Digital Spy Facebook page and 'Follow' on our @digitalspy Instagram and Twitter account.

('You Might Also Like',)