Toddler left covered in 'burn marks' after spilling Daddies ketchup on herself

Will Metcalfe
Contributor
A squeezy bottle of Daddies Tomato Ketchup. An 18-month-old toddler was left covered in an horrific red rash over her body which ' looked like burn marks' after accidentally squirting tomato ketchup on herself. (SWNS)

A toddler was left covered in a rash over her body which 'looked like burn marks' after accidentally squirting tomato ketchup on herself.

Leanne Bullard's daughter, Alice, suffered an allergic reaction after spilling the sauce from a £1 squeezy bottle of Daddies Tomato Ketchup, which is made by Heinz.

Mrs Bullard, 39, did not realise until she was bathing her daughter after dinner and noticed bright red marks on her skin on June 14.

Fortunately the rash went down after a few hours and the youngster recovered.

Alice Bullard after she spilled the Daddies ketchup on herself. You can clearly see the red blotches which were an allergic reaction to a preservative. (SWNS)

She later discovered that her daughter had suffered a reaction to a preservative used in the tomato ketchup brand which she had bought at Iceland.

Speaking about the incident she said: "On Friday evening I made the children pizza and chips for their tea. I'd bought Daddies' Tomato Ketchup in the plastic bottle.

"It's not normally the brand I buy but I had run out and was in the shop and that was the only one they had so I picked it up.

"Obviously I gave it to the kids with their tea and within half an hour - because Alice is only 18 months old - she had got it absolutely everywhere.

Leanne Bullard, with daughter Alice who was left covered in an horrific red rash over her body which ' looked like burn marks' after accidentally squirting tomato ketchup on herself. (SWNS)

"I got some baby wipes which are the same brand I always use that she had never had a reaction to and wiped it off her.

"When I did wipe it off her, directly underneath where the tomato ketchup had been were red marks and patches.

"It looked like she had been burnt, it looked like scolds.

"I thought 'Oh my God, What's happened? What am I going to do?'"

After complaining directly to parent company Heinz, Mrs Bullard was told that the sauce contained potassium sorbate, a preservative, was used exclusively in the squeezy bottles.

Read more from Yahoo News UK:

Torrential rain and thunderstorms lash UK

Fifth suspected murder in six days as London violence continues

Jeremy Corbyn to back second referendum

She was also told the chemical was not in any other Heinz products - even those that also come in plastic containers.

She is now keen for other parents to be aware their child may have a similar reaction.

"Some children could have had a more severe reaction, it could have been a lot worse especially if it had reacted with Alice's throat or her airways.

"That's quite scary for a parent."

The mother-of-four said Alice is not allergic to anything else nor had she seen a reaction like this from any of her other children either.

A spokesman for Heinz said: "We have confirmed with Leanne that Daddies Tomato Ketchup in glass bottles is made without potassium sorbate because of a different filling process, and it is not used in Heinz Tomato Ketchup.

"Of course the details of these recipes are clearly labelled.

"We have sent Leanne a voucher as a gesture of goodwill to enable her to replace the bottle.”

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK