A teenage girl collapsed and died 20 minutes after colouring her hair, according to her friend.
Tabatha McCourt, 17, was enjoying a quiet night-in watching the ‘X Factor’ live show at her best friend’s house in Airdrie, Lanarkshire, when tragedy hit.
According to friend Heather Goodhall, 20 minutes after applying the dye, she began pulling the foils out of her hair in agony and vomiting before collapsing.
Speaking about the ordeal to the Scottish Daily Record, Miss Goodhall said: “She started shouting, ‘No, no’, and my mum's boyfriend held her and tried to calm her down.
“It was really scary. Her eyes started going all funny and then she just started being sick. It was really frightening.
“She looked just like a rag doll - limp, just lying there.We phoned for the ambulance and when they arrived they told us to get out of the living room so I couldn't see what was happening. Next thing we knew she was taken out of the house and into the ambulance.”
She was taken to Monklands General Hospital where she sadly died.
Speaking with Yahoo! News today, a spokeswoman from Strathclyde Police confirmed the incident but said that no cause of death has yet been established.
However, the possibility that she suffered a rare allergic reaction to a chemical in the dye will be investigated in a post-mortem examination.
Tabatha’s grandfather John Bell, 59, said she had no health problems and the hair dye couldn't be ruled out for playing a part in her death.
He added: “We still don't know what happened to our beautiful girl.”
In 2001, an inquest heard how Narinder Devi, from Birmingham, died from an allergic reaction to home hair colourant. Pathologists said Devi suffered a severe anaphylactic shock which was ‘most likely’ caused by the hair dye.