X Factor is over or at least ‘as we know it,’ according to a new report. The Simon Cowell headed series, which has been an ITV staple since it launched back in 2004, will return but reportedly in a completely new and revamped format.
A source told the Daily Star: “The decision has been made to drop X Factor in its current form. It has been 100% axed. The show is done.
“It’s being replaced by a show that’ll only be for celebrities. Members of the public won’t get to take part. So viewers won’t see new talent being discovered anymore. It’s the end of an era.”
“Imagine Strictly but with singers. That’s the plan being talked about at present. There is no doubt the X Factor format needs freshening up – this is it.”
A further source told the same tabloid that Simon Cowell is hoping to bank on the success of celebrities releasing albums, such as Bradley Walsh:
“Bradley Walsh was the biggest selling artist of 2016. They could find a similar type of celebrity not known for their musical skills – and make them even more of a star.”
X Factor was once one of ITV’s biggest shows, and could command audiences of upwards of 17 million viewers, but has plummeted in the ratings in recent years.
Up against Strictly on Saturday nights, the talent show experienced its lowest ratings of all time last year, and rarely earned more than four million views per episode.
This was in despite of an almost all new line-up, with Cowell reportedly paying millions to secure Robbie Williams and his wife Ayda Field and One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson.
2018’s winner, Dalton Harris, has also failed to earn a number one on the UK charts as of yet.