The 7 bombshells dropped by Jay Slater private investigator from stolen Rolex to mystery men

Mark Williams-Thomas
-Credit: (Image: @mwilliamsthomas on X)

British teen Jay Slater still remains missing - over two weeks on from when he was last heard from.

The 19-year-old apprentice bricklayer from Lancashire was last seen on Monday, June 17, after he left an Airbnb in Masca, in Rural de Teno Park, Tenerife. Jay had attempted to walk back to his accommodation in the south of the island - a 20 hour walk away - at around 8am but has not been seen since. He had flown to the Spanish island to attend the NRG music festival with his friends.

Two weeks have now passed without any sign of Jay, and as of Sunday (June 30), the Civil Guard has called off the intensive search operations, though the investigation remains active.

READ MORE Jay Slater disappearance and 'stolen Rolex' theory explained after police probe

Former British police detective Mark Williams-Thomas, who has probed a string of high-profile missing persons cases, has been assisting the family in the search for Jay. In an update about Jay’s disappearance released on Wednesday morning, the ex-cop alleged the teenager from Oswaldtwistle was “scared” when he left the holiday rental where he was last seen.

Mr Williams-Thomas, 54, flew out to Tenerife on Monday, June 24 in order to help Jay's mum Debbie Duncan, 55, with the investigation after offering them his services free of charge. He was lead investigator on the ITV Exposure documentary, The Other Side of Jimmy Savile, which revealed how the late BBC presenter preyed upon young girls.

He has since returned to the UK, and has said he has released this morning’s video in order to “clear up the mass of information and inaccuracies which have been reported” about the apprentice bricklayer’s disappearance.

Jay Slater, 19, had befriended two men on holiday before he mysteriously vanished
Missing Jay Slater -Credit:Instagram

He says detectives have reason to believe that Jay was “scared” when he left the AirBnB and felt that he was unable to return there, despite it being the “sensible option”. Mr Williams-Thomas said: "We have received information that would suggest Jay left the rental property feeling scared and that he would not return to the rental, even though that would have been the most sensible course of action, and also where he could have charged his phone and got water."

He added: "He was told to go back to the rental. He said he could not do that and that he had already been walking 30 minutes and that he was now off the road and walking on a track, where there were loose stones."

The final known location of Jay's phone was at Rural de Teno Park, a hilly nature reserve. His movements after roughly 8.30am on Monday are still unknown, and his mother, Debbie Duncan, has described the ordeal of searching for her son as "an absolute living nightmare".

Here are the key points about Jay’s last known movements, as described by Mark Williams-Thomas

  • Shortly before 6am on Monday June 17, Jay left the area of Playa de las Americas in a Seat Leon hire car, with two male acquaintances. Jay and a number of his friends had spent time with both of the males over the previous two days. All three males travelled north via the main motorway, to the two males’ holiday accommodation, which was about an hour's drive away in Rural del Teno.

  • Whilst in the car, Jay posted a Snapchat saying that he had “taken” a £12,000 Rolex watch from a person. Detectives have been unable to validate the theft however Jay’s friends said it is “not something that he would make up” and there had been later discussions among the friends about the watch.

  • Not long after arriving at the rental, at around 7am, Jay made contact with various friends on social media both in and outside the villa. It was on the doorstep of the villa that he shared a Snapchat photo of himself standing on the doorstop, wearing a pair of black and green Nike Air Max trainers.

  • At around 8am, Jay spoke to the owner of the AirBnB who told him that the bus back to Playa de las Americas would be leaving at 10am.

  • Jay did not wait for the bus and instead used the maps feature on his Apple iPhone to find a route home. The navigation app said that it would take him 19 hours and 30 minutes to walk back to where he had been staying. Whilst on the walk, he spoke to three of his friends on the phone. He told them he was lost with little phone battery and no water. Two of his friends told him to turn around and go back to the rental, but he told them he could not do that and that he had already been walking for 30 minutes. He said he was now off-road, and walking on a track where there were loose stones. At 8.49am and 8.50am, Jay sent his location via both Snapchat and WhatsApp to two friends. It has been confirmed by detectives that it was Jay using the phone at this time.

  • From this point, no further contact was made with Jay. Detectives have been informed that Jay left the rental feeling “scared” which is why he felt like he couldn’t return there, even though it would have been the most sensible option and would have allowed him to charge his phone, and get some water.

  • Mr Williams-Thomas ruled out the possibility of kidnap and said that at this stage, there is no evidence to suggest that there is any third party criminal involvement. However, they remain open minded to the possibility of this changing.

The four big unanswered questions

Where is Jay Slater?

Jay's last known location has been traced to Rural del Teno, a mountainous region in the west of the island. The nearest town is Santiago del Teide.

He had been residing on the southern part of the island in a flat with friends, with his friend Lucy stating he was attempting to complete the hike back on foot. He made contact with several friends while on the walk, telling them that he was lost without any water and little phone battery.

At 8.49am and 8.50am, Jay sent his location via both Snapchat and Whatsapp to two friends. After this, his phone died. His movements after this time are not known.

Why did he not wait for the bus?

The question as to why Jay didn't wait for the 10am bus, or try and find alternative travel arrangements, remains unanswered. The owner of the Air BnB that Jay had been taken to by the two acquaintances, had a brief conversation with him in which he asked her what time the next bus would be. She said she used her fingers, to indicate that the bus would be arriving at 10am.

Rescue teams at the scene

After this, Jay made contact with friends who he told that he was attempting to walk back home. It is not clear why Jay decided to try and walk back, instead of waiting two hours for the bus to arrive.

Mr Williams-Thomas has suggested that Jay felt “scared” when he left the Air BnB and that “he could not return”, which may point towards Jay not feeling safe enough to wait for the bus.

What route did Jay take on the mountain?

The teenager's precise route is of course unknown, but it's clear that he chose to leave the road and walk across more challenging terrain, after he told friends on the phone that he was walking on a path with “loose stones”.

Jay’s friend Lucy Law, 18, who spoke to him on the phone the morning he went missing, said Jay told her that he had "cut his leg on a cactus".

Why did Spanish Police end their search for Jay?

Police and mountain rescue teams spent nearly two weeks looking for Mr Slater before calling off the search on Sunday (June 30). Firefighters, specialist sniffer dogs, drones and helicopters were also involved in the search.

Police have not revealed if they have a specific reason for their decision to stop looking for Mr Slater. A Civil Guard spokeswoman said: "The search operation is no longer active, but the case is still open and there are several lines of investigation."

Dozens of troops during the macro search for 19-year-old British tourist Jay Slater, who disappeared on June 17, at the Mirador de la Cruz de Hilda, in Masca, Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain. -Credit:Getty
Dozens of troops during the macro search for 19-year-old British tourist Jay Slater, who disappeared on June 17, at the Mirador de la Cruz de Hilda, in Masca, Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain. -Credit:Getty

She added: "The search has gone on for many days because it is a rocky area that is hard to access."

At the end of his statement, Mr Williams-Thomas urged land owners in the area of where Jay was last seen to “check any outbuildings and land that they have in the hope that further searches will continue by volunteers in the area not yet searched.”

He continued: “Anyone with information about the case, should contact the police in Tenerife, or you can contact me and my team on 07507833099 or email or contact Mark on Twitter, Instagram and TikTok: @mwilliamsthomas.”

Get all the latest and breaking news in Yorkshire by signing up to our newsletter here.