Man fighting for life after being trapped under double decker bus in Hackney

The incident took place on Kingsland Road in Dalston (Google streetview)
The incident took place on Kingsland Road in Dalston (Google streetview)

A man is fighting for his life after he was run over and trapped under a double-decker bus in Hackney.

Emergency services rushed to Kingsland Road in Dalston shortly before 4.30pm on Tuesday after the man became stuck.

The Metropolitan Police said he has suffered “significant injuries” which are believed to be life-threatening or life-changing.

He has been taken to an east London hospital and no arrests have been made.

A section of the busy road has been shut off with buses and drivers being diverted.

Witnesses described seeing a man “trapped under the wheel” of the vehicle on social media.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "We were called at 4.31pm today to reports of a man trapped underneath a double-decker bus at the junction of Kingsland Road and Forest Road in Dalston.

"Two fire engines and a fire rescue unit were sent to the scene and have worked to release the man.

"He has been left in the care of the London Ambulance Service.

"A road closure is in place on Kingsland Road and drivers are advised to find alternative routes."

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson added: “We were called today (Tuesday 2 July) at 4.25pm to reports of a road traffic accident in Kingsland Road, Hackney, E8.

“We sent numerous resources to the scene including ambulance crews, an incident response officer, members of our Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) and London’s air ambulance.

“We treated a man at the scene and took him to a London major trauma centre.”

Click below to see the latest London headlines

A Met Police spokesperson told the Standard the force was called to reports of a road traffic collision involving a man and a bus in Kingsland Road at 4.29pm.

They said: “Officers and London Ambulance Service attended and found a man suffering significant injuries.

“The man was treated at the scene before being taken to an east London hospital. His injuries are believed to be life-threatening and life changing.

“Road closures remain in place. No arrests have been made.”