A murderer who killed a 16-year-old girl whose body has never been found has died in prison.
Nicholas Rose, 37, was convicted of killing tragic teen Charlotte Pinkney in 2004 after attacking her when she spurned his sexual advances.
The Ministry of Justice has confirmed he died on Sunday at HMP Guys Marsh where he was serving a life sentence for the killing.
Rose was convicted of murder at Exeter Crown Court in February 2005. It was said he killed Charlotte in the early hours of February 28, 2004 after she spurned his sexual advances.
But several aspects of the case in Ilfracombe, Devon, remain a mystery.
Charlotte's body was never found and Rose maintained his innocence. He was convicted on circumstantial evidence, including DNA.
His death means that, tragically, Charlotte's family may never find out what happened to her.
In a statement the MoJ said: "HMP Guys Marsh prisoner Nicholas Rose died in prison on 19 May 2019.
“As with all deaths in custody there will be an independent investigation by the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman.”
Rose was serving a minimum of 20 years before being considered for release.
The jury at his trial in 2005 delivered a majority verdict after deliberating for 25 hours.
They agreed Rose, a scaffolder, drove Charlotte to a deserted reservoir, killed her and dumped her body.
Judge Graham Cottle said Charlotte's family could not rest until Rose, aged 22 at the time of the killing, told them where he had disposed of his victim.
In the lead up to her death Charlotte had been to a house party in Ilfracombe where she met Rose.
They left together at 4.30am and Rose killed her after an argument about sex.
The prosecution said scratch marks on the defendant meant Charlotte had fought for her life.
Her blood was found in the car Rose was driving, on the jump leads, the roof and one of his trainers. A button of the type used on her trousers was found in the vacuum he used to clean the car and black elastic consistent with a thong Charlotte was wearing was found under the passenger seat.
Read more from Yahoo News UK:
Rose said he had dropped Charlotte off close to the party and was not responsible for her death.
In 2006 Rose lost an appeal against his conviction. He claimed a number of witnesses had seen Charlotte in Ilfracombe after he was supposed to have murdered her. They also rejected his claims the judge had allowed prejudicial evidence.
His mother, Kay Rose, said she was heartbroken by the news of his death.
"We are all heartbroken," she said. "We can't think straight.
"We are waiting for the post mortem to find out what happened. We know it wasn't suspicious and he didn't take his own life."
Reflecting on his murder conviction she said: "We will still carry on fighting. We will still try to clear his name if we can. He maintained his innocence. It's just been such a hard fight."
An inquest will be held at a later date.